The Saber

Filed under Arts

The Inside Scoop on Pasafest

The Saber interviewed Mike McFalls, an art professor at Columbus State University and director at Pasaquan.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Inside Scoop on Pasafest

Check out what Pasaquan is here

What is Pasafest?

Pasafest is a music and art festival that celebrates the visionary art environment, Pasaquan, and its creator, Eddie Owens Martin (aka St. EOM). There will be an impressive, eclectic musical line-up, an extraordinary artist market, Cosmic Cosmetologists coiffing hair upward, fortune-telling, face-painters, cosmic pickles, Omaha Brewing Company‘s Viberations beer, off-site camping, and much more. The Pasaquan Preservation Society and CSU have organized this festival to highlight the cultures of the southeast. We are celebrating the outsiders, the strange, and the unconventional.

What is the reason behind it?

Pasafest is a step toward fulfilling our mission by producing programming and fundraising events that will help preserve as well as educate people about this world-renowned visionary art environment! All proceeds go toward the continued preservation of the site.

What does the schedule look like?

Gates open at 10 a.m., and the first musical act is at 11:30 a.m. There will be eight musical acts, including everything from blues, rock, folk, and even ending the night with some psychedelic music. The last act will end around 9 p.m.

Who was involved in the planning process?

I didn’t plan this on my own. The Pasaquan Preservation Society (PPS) has an events committee. That committee’s chair is Charles Fowler. Fowler and his team, Jamie Barrow and Lauren Cantrell, have done a lot of planning and preparing. Also, we have been working with Steve Morse and Ryan Harris from CSU’s University Support Services. They have also done a considerable amount of planning.

What are the expected outcomes for it?

Well, if the weather is good, I think this might be one of the largest events that we have had at Pasaquan, and we have had a couple of big ones. Two years ago, we had over 2,000 visitors throughout the day for the grand opening.  Last fall, we produced an opera, and we had over 700 visitors for two productions. As I said, if the weather cooperates, I believe we should have over 1,000 visitors.

What is your personal opinion regarding Pasafest?

When PPS approached me about doing this, I thought it was a great idea. It has been a lot of planning for all involved, but I believe it is going to be a great success. I’m sure there will be a minor problem here and there, and we will learn from those problems, but I think this is going to be exceptional. If all goes well, we intend to have this fundraising event every fall.

A word on Camping at Omaha Brewery:

Originally, attendees had the choice to camp out at Omaha Brewery after Pasafest in conjunction with the event. According to Justin from Omaha Brewery, Omaha Brewery has had to cancel this event on short notice due to insurance reasons. “We just found out [about the cancellation] and we are deeply disappointed,” said Mike McFalls. Those who have already signed up for the camping portion have been contacted about the cancelation, and tickets for camping are no longer available.

Students can buy their Pasafest tickets at:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pasafest-tickets-49560314234?aff=ebdssbeac

Ticket Types – Online Ticket Sales End 11/9/18 12:00 pm

Admission – $20

Student – $15

12 and Under – $10

At the Gate – $30